Property and Evidence

Evidence Storage

Tall White Evidence Boxes with red tape.

Evidence Storage

white and blue evidence boxes two racks three rows each.  The fourth row is paper bags.

New Storage

Wire Stand Up Lockers with Clothes Hangers.

Suisun City Police Department's Property and Evidence Division is currently staffed by one full-time Property and Evidence Tech. The Property and Evidence Division prepares evidence requests made by officers. The Division is responsible for the storage, management, processing, release, and disposal of property and evidence.

The Property and Evidence Technician is well-versed in crime scene investigations, photography, and the proper handling of forensic, fingerprint, and ballistic evidence. The Property and Evidence Division works closely with the department's Investigators and offers training to all department personnel on the current and proper handling of evidence.

Items are released by Appointment Only and a request for property released can be completed here (or print form


What are the general types of items booked?

Evidence includes items of property that could have some connection to a crime (such as tools used to commit a burglary or items recovered from a previous burglary), which may implicate or clear a person of a criminal charge.

Non-evidentiary property which is placed in the custody of a law enforcement agency for temporary protection on behalf of the owner for various reasons and not intended to be used as evidence in a criminal case.

The owner has 60 days from the date the items come into our custody to pick up his/her property. Unclaimed items are disposed of in accordance with California law. All illegal weapons, ammunition, drugs or narcotics which are confiscated, found, or otherwise turned into the Suisun City Police Department will be destroyed. (State law - California Civil Code 2080.1)

Non-evidentiary property which, after coming into the custody of a law enforcement agency, has been determined to be lost or abandoned and is not known or suspected to be connected with any criminal offense. (State law - California Civil Code 2080-2080.3)

California law requires found property with a value of $100 or more to be turned over to the Police Department. The finder will receive a receipt. If the property remains unclaimed for 90 days, the finder may claim it. If the item is worth more than $250 it must be advertised in the newspaper for 7 days after the 90-day wait period, prior to release to the finder.

Booked for Destruction
Non-evidentiary property that an individual has requested be destroyed. This term generally includes weapons and ammunition.

If you find property in another city (outside Suisun City), please call or go to the police department or sheriff's station in the city or county where you found the item and turn it in there.

What should I do if my property is lost or stolen?

If your property has been lost or stolen, you should file an online report as soon as possible. If you have a record of the serial number on the item(s) or if you have applied your own number, include that in the report. Items lost or stolen that are reported with their serial numbers stand a far better chance of being returned to their owners. An owner has 90 days to claim his/her found property. If you have lost some property and would like to see if it has been turned in, you may contact us by phone. As a finder, you may contact the Evidence and Property Section at 90 days to see if the item remains unclaimed; we will advise you of release procedures at that time.


How can I claim property that was taken for safe keeping?

Owners must pick up any safekeeping and/or personal property items within 60 days of the item coming into our custody. If you need more time, call or write to request an extension. Unclaimed items, including items belonging to incarcerated persons who have not contacted the Evidence and Property Unit, will go to charitable organizations or be disposed of. (State law - California Civil Code 2080.1)

Items held for safekeeping, found property, recovered, and cleared stolen property are released to their owners; proof of ownership may be required. If unclaimed, these items are eventually sold at public auction. Some items in dangerous or unusable condition will be destroyed. (State law - California Civil Code 2080.6)

Weapons turned in or taken for safekeeping due to a domestic violence incident or an incident where the person is taken in for psychiatric evaluation may be retrieved from the Evidence and Property Unit when certain conditions are met and after receiving clearance from the City Attorney and the California Department of Justice (DOJ). (State law - California Penal Code 18400 and Welfare and Institution Code 5150/8102) Weapons unclaimed after 180 days will be destroyed. For contact information, see the section regarding firearm returns.

When can I claim my property that was booked as evidence?

In order to be helped in the most efficient manner, please bring your government-issued ID (CA driver license/ID, military ID, or passport) along with your case number or Property Record number. A credit card, social security card, birth certificate, and other non-photo items are not acceptable. If necessary, your Solano County mugshot can be used to identify you. Bring your notification letter and/or Property Receipt, if you received one.

If it is a firearm, please refer to the "Release of Firearm" section. If there are special circumstances regarding the pickup of your property, please contact our office.

Can someone else pick up my property?

If you designate someone else to pick up your property, we must receive a NOTARIZED letter of authorization from you. 

If you are picking up property for a person who is currently incarcerated, that person must write a letter or complete the attached letter (sample) authorizing you to pick up his/her property, and it must be witnessed by an officer/guard at the correctional facility with the officer's signature and printed name, badge number, and contact phone number. 

If you are attempting to claim property belonging to a deceased person, you must possess documentation that you are the Executor of the Estate, or a will with a copy of the death certificate, we will contact the Coroner to attempt to identify the next of kin (who will then be able to pick up the property). 

How do I get my firearms returned?

The release of firearms from a police department in California is typically governed by specific laws, regulations, and departmental policies. The process is designed to ensure the proper transfer of firearms and to prevent any potential misuse. To request release of a firearm, please complete the Property Request Release Form.


How do i get my money returned?

To claim money taken as evidence or for safekeeping, a payment request form may have to be filled out depending on the circumstances. Call the Property and Evidence at (707) 435-2748 for more information.

Money seized pursuant to an asset forfeiture action must have a release sent to Suisun City Police Department by the Property and Evidence at 701 Civic Center Blvd. Suisun City, CA 94585 prior to the money being able to be released.


I live outside of the Suisun City Area. Can I have my items mailed to me?

In some circumstances, items can be mailed. The owner/requestor may be required to cover all shipping costs. Please contact the Evidence and Property section for further details.

Fill out a Property Release Form Property Request Release Form